Thursday, February 4, 2010

Stamping Outside The Box

I have time for one more challenge before heading back to *real* work for the weekend. :) Stars and Stamps initiated a COLOR Challenge - the idea being to be inspired by a photo of a dress and make a card duplicating the colors shown there. How fun! Here is a photo of the dress we were given.



Now then. . . we didn't have to duplicate the pattern, just the colors. But I really did love how these colors came cascading down the dress - mingling together like a little spring flower party. :) Hooray! (It is snowing outside today - and I am in denial.)

Here is my card for the challenge and a quick fun tutorial for doing something UNUSUAL with your stamps. (What, me?)

First of all, I have about a dozen of those really cute little Studio G Alphabet stamps - I found them on sale in the dollar bins at Michael's I think. I snagged up as many of the different fonts as I could find. Sadly, I haven't used them as often as I thought I would. Look closely at the flowers on my card - why, they aren't flowers at all, they are letters! In fact, I used the letters "D" "A" and "Y" and "!" to reflect the "Happy Day" sentiment at the top of the card. Here's how I started.


I used a 4.25 x 5.5 " teal Bazzil background and matted with a yellow DCWV cardstock that I ran through my cuttlebug to emboss with the dot pattern. I made an A2 size card today. (Half of an 8.5x11 cardstock.)


I used a 3.5 x 4.5" white cardstock as a background for my stamping. I used Color Box chalks to stamp with in these colors: Ice Jade, Prussian Blue, Teal, Yellow Cadmium, Fresh Green and Blue Iris. I used the "D, A, Y and !" stamps, starting with the "!"


I stamped "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" all over the paper in yellow and green, starting at the bottom and stamping less and lighter towards the top. I made little flower patterns with the stamp. Hehehe.



Here is another closeup of how I proceeded with the "D"s and the "A"'s and the "Y's" . . oh, I guess I used the "." a few times too, as centers for the flowers. When I was finished, I chalked all of the edges of the white cardstock with the teal chalk.

All that was left was to stamp the "Happy Day" sentiment on a strip of white, mount again on teal, and add it to the card. I used the chalks to stamp the sentiment as well.

That is all for today - and I will be back next week, Happy Day!

5 comments:

Kajikit said...

What a clever idea to make flowers from the letters!

Martha said...

How fun, how playful! Thanks for sharing how you created your fun flowers.

CARO said...

I love your card.. I'm just getting started in stamping so I'm mind boggled :) Very very creative use of the letters to make flowers..

Dawn said...

Great card, I really love the images you used, works well with the colors and layout..Great card.

Dixie Cochran said...

Thanks for the scoop on making this beautiful card!