Saturday, December 22, 2012

26 Cards... 1-5

Sometimes, in light of the bad things that happen in the world, it is hard to find inspiration. I know that I have been feeling particularly down, after the events that happened in Newtown last week. It's difficult to know what to do or say about these kinds of events. It's so hard to know how to help. But I think that I have found my way. Let me explain.

On Friday, I read several Facebook posts by other moms like myself. They all said something to the effect of, "I just want to run home / to school and pick up my child and hug them as long as I can."  I know that I felt that way too and I did... at least as long as a squirmy thirteen year old would let me. (Moooommmm!! Geeeees!)

I did get to thinking about how fortunate I was to be able to do this. I thought a lot about the cause that is nearest and dearest to my heart, Operation Write Home and how we send cards to the deployed troops for them to send home to their loved ones. How many heroes out there, I wondered, were feeling the very same way but were thousands of miles from their children and were helpless to do anything about it?

More inspiration came my way in the form of last week's episode of OWH TV. Sandy talked a little bit about the same thing, and offered a challenge for those of us who want to participate. Making cards especially for the troops to send home for their children. Surely, they are ever more so in need of these little tokens of love at this time. Both the parents, and the kids.

I'm also inspired by the challenge of 26 Acts of Kindness. I've tried holding doors, making treats and leaving tips when I can. These small acts seem kind of insignificant on the scale of things, even if they are all that I can afford at the moment. What I CAN do is start by making 26 cards for kids. So I dove into it today. I'm spending a little more time and pouring a little more love into each of these cards. I'm hoping that 26 kids will receive these cards from 26 deployed parents and maybe even more people will be inspired.

Here are cards 1-5 (I made five of these, because they are so cute and fun for boys) and there will be many more to follow. Why stop at 26? I think that this will be my pet project for a while.


Here is a list of supplies:
Paper from the "Boy's Universe" 12x12 stack by The Paper Studio
The little robot stamp is by Imaginisce.
I stamped/embossed with black and colored with a silver marker by CTMH.
The stars were cut using George and Basic Shapes -Cricut at 1.25 and .75"
The music notes were cut using Joys of the Season - Cricut at 1"
"You Rock" was printed on grey paper from the same stack at 36pt using a little font called "Computer" which I am sure was a free font from somewhere.


I love the shiny silvery foil in the patterned paper and tried to replicate it with that shiny silver marker. I don't suppose that many children will recognize that there is a cassette tape in the body of the cute little robot and recognize it as something that is related to music. :) But it is cute anyway. I do love this stamp.

Thanks for looking. I'll have many more kids' cards to come and I hope that maybe some of you will play along with me too. Thank you for stopping by! You rock!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, you rock. This is a wonderful idea and knowing how much love you have poured into these will make them all truly special.
Blessings to you and yours. xxx